Friday, July 24, 2020

The Hippopotamus

Sleek and smooth this Hippopotamus
Silky, sensual and slow
Gleaming wetness and bold
Bodied, surpassing all weight
Without burden or scorn.

Hippopotamus arrived today
Making me laugh and
Smile and sing and no longer
Suffer, for she brings hope and 
Understanding, glory and glam.

What do you have to teach me, Oh Hippo?
"Slow down and don't move too fast
Got to make the morning last
Skipping down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy"*

That's what you have for me?
A paraphrased Simon and Garfunkel verse?
"I mean it," she added.
Sounds lovely, what else?

"Smile more and worry less
Let go of what is so bothersome
Let it pass
Even when struck by a blow
Relax, breathe and then let's go
To the water and dive in
So deep

Water cleanses the soul
And is sure to keep the 
Rough edges smoother
The harsh edges softer
Relax in abundance and 
Wade in with wonder."

Why, thank you Oh, Hippo
You sure know me well
Can I repay the favor of 
Your visit, do tell?

Yes, you can take care of my baby
If I grow old and more weak
You can feed her and dress her
And teach her all the ways of
The Hippopotamus.

I will.


*Paraphrased from Simon and Garfunkel's lyrics: The 59th Street Bridge Song
"Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy
Ba da-da da-da da-da, feeling groovy
Hello lamppost, what'cha knowing
I've come to watch your flowers growin'
Ain't you got no rhymes for me?
Doo-ait-n-doo-doo, feeling groovy
Ba da-da da-da da-da, feeling groovy
I got no deeds to do, no promises to keep
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morningtime drop all its petals on me
Life, I love you, all is groovy"

No comments:

Post a Comment