Friday, January 21, 2022

The Price we pay for Love

Gazing at her photo, I fell in love

So adorable, such a tragic story

She came into my life online

And, then I met her


I am such a good mother

Such a good lover

Such a caretaker and a

Responsible one


Little did I know how

This 9 lb wonder would

Change my life in an instant

For a long while


I questioned my decision

Cleaning up poop and pee

So frequently, is this how 

Motherhood was to be?


Surely she will grow up

And be responsible herself

One day, after she learns

How to use the potty correctly


Meanwhile, the carpet is

Stained, the Woolite smell

Is overwhelming and yet

She looks up longingly and I realize


She doesn’t know manners

No one has taught her how to be

In a life with human beings

How would she know?

Then at night when the lights
Are off and our old dog is in our bed

She joins us and snuggles next

To my head to sleep


Ah, the price we pay for love

If we were only logical

Cognitive beings we would not 

Give our hearts away so fast


Thank goodness

We do

How we continue to love

Matters

No comments:

Post a Comment