Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Sensory Scenes

The flute, piccolo, and bassoon

My earlier instruments

Now I listen to crows’ caws

Warning us about the 

Hawks in the trees nearby


My mother’s fried chicken

Popping and spewing

Cooking just right

Tasty grease and salt

Going down easy


Touching my tiny dog’s

Soft fur, smelling the salt

From our beach walk

Hiding from the burrs


Violence erupting

Guns aflame

Tragic streets in our nation

Worse tragedy in Ukraine

Here, police shooting at

Black and brown men and children


I hear Martin Luther King’s voice

I feel his

Presence in my bones

Soul speaking wisdom

Courage and Beloved Community


Anger feels like fire 

Rippling down my spine

Love feels cuddly, juicy, sweet

Peace seems billowy and heavenly

The Spirit oozes with joy and delight

No comments:

Post a Comment