Tuesday, March 1, 2022

My Mother's Moving Forward


My mother’s brain all a jumble

Or, finally clear at last?

Sacred thin veils that

Part into liminal space


What isn’t needed has fallen away

She nows see the true colors

Of everything


Visitors from beyond come frequently

To bear witness to my mother

Her memories, joys, fears and sorrows

What does this child do?


Dive with her into the deep blue sea

Swimming with the fish and mammals

And plants, while feeling safe

Inside and out?


Play quietly, listening to her stories

About who visited last night

Who honored her with a party?


Why don’t I know about the little house

She wants me to sell, why don’t I

Have the deed? “What house?” I ask


My father once dead, lives again

Sleeping with her nightly

She shook with sobs when he died once more

The next day, he was alive, Praise Be!


I rise up as often as I can to see her

Never knowing what will greet me as I enter

The light flows in, such an airy space

Dream images of dinners with deceased friends

And family, dance in front of our eyes


I am blessed to see my mother in this

New and amazing space, though troubling

At first, now delightful some of the time


Watching her interact with loved ones who

Celebrate her life while she still lives

She feels them next to her even when 

Geographically apart

So many people in this open room


One day, I may also visit her

After her passing as she wanders

Into my brain tangles and heart space

Knowing she still lives beside me

No comments:

Post a Comment