Wednesday, February 1, 2023

A Kaleidoscope of Coral

Colonies of polyps

Attaching themselves

To hard substrates

Communities of people

Attached to Mother Earth

And to each other

Gravity


Coral can be hard or soft

Growing, serving as

Protection for other sea creatures

Beauty

Needed parts of the whole

Buffering shorelines 

Vital to a healthy ecosystem

Poisoned by toxins

Harmed by climate change 

Warmer water

Endangered


Colorful and diverse

Each colony unique

To its own

Sturdy, Sacred

Stunning to view


Coral needs water and light

Some types thrive deeper in

Colder environments   

Transmuting the 

Heaviness of this wounded world


Gorgeous landscapes

Sensuous scenery, visual candy

Ocean creatures, life cycles


Humans can be stunningly beautiful and

Extremely ugly 

Faces, words, and actions

Tones of voice

People are endangered too


Like sharks and other 

Carnivores who survive by

Eating other animals

People also attack emotionally

Verbally and physically

No food has to be exchanged

Except metaphorically


Or maybe there is a

"Food" transaction

Food nourishes so

 I may attack you

I may want your food

(Your ability to nourish 

Yourself better - in my opinion

than I do)

So, I steal, I grab your stuff

I push you over so I can

Have more (in my thinking)

I compete with you for

What I perceive as a

Limited amount of food

Attention

Having experienced 

Deprivation of food, touch, love

Emotional support

I want it

I am desperate for it

Power or fame

Wealth or beauty

Give it to me, please

Don’t make me beg


Meanwhile, in the kaleidoscope of the 

Kelp forest

Coral and sea fans softly

Sway in carefree currents

The tides


Sharks, sea lions and dolphins 

Hunt for food 

Killing other beings at times


Seemingly without all the 

Vigor and deep desire or 

Despairing desperation of 

Human needs that 

Didn’t get met

Still aren't met


Wonder what we might learn 

From Coral 

While still living as human beings?

No comments:

Post a Comment