Saturday, February 25, 2023

Whiny Babies

Whiny babies irritate and disgust me

Why? I don’t know how to help them

(As if anyone can)

I fear the whiny baby inside of me

The tiny part who fears 

Who trembles

Who knows not what to do 

Differently


I project, therefore I am

Mean sister, mean friend

Mean family member

Mean boss or lover

Doesn’t matter

You make me so angry

And scared that I can’t 

Reject you, throw you 

Out of my life and that

I am stuck with you always

Taken hostage by you

You whiny, clinging baby

That you are, turning to me

With your complaints and gripes

Your trauma and horrors

I thought I could help you

But, I don’t see you changing much

So you make me feel incompetent

Not so smart and then I hate

You for that.


Then, Grace steps in and asks:

Maybe these whiny babies who 

Attack and are dour and sour

Irritable and awful to be around
Target you with their venom and fear

And you want to wash it off you

You don’t want to take it in 

If you can help it

They give you headaches

They are stressful for you

Always nagging and disgruntled

Nothing is right or good

Everything is bad and wrong
They bring you down


And, Grace says, maybe

They are just babies

Having been born into a world

That harmed them, or the 

Combination of the two, the

Baby and the world

A bad match and so they 

Tantrum, scream and whine

You try to feed them

That doesn't work

You try to love them

That doesn't work

They always need more and more


Think of them as babies

Just babies and part of your

Job in the world is to take care of

The babies


Some may live and thrive
And some may not

You have to let those go

Because they drain you

(Remember you fear they won’t

Go away even when you tell them to)


How do you tell a baby

Mom's leaving now and 

She won't be back

Good luck on your future?


You do have power

You have choice

Tell them good bye

Or give them to 

Another parent for awhile

You are not much good to them

Or for them    anymore 

Anyway


Or, do them a favor

And shove them gently out of the nest

So that they can grow up

And, yes, they may die falling so far

To the earth

No comments:

Post a Comment