Monday, October 18, 2021

Almost Heaven

Rolling off the couch

Between cushion and coffee table

My parents' blue toned Oriental rug 

Underneath me

Wrapped in a lush blanket

I stay there, curled up

Head down, so very 

Comfortable


Like a bunny (or a fetus)

Wrapped up in fur inside

A den of soil and bugs

Mycelial network and roots

Earthworms and such


I lie there quietly, silently

Relaxing, resting for a long time

Darkness inside the blanket

Cuddled up in softness

(or amniotic fluids)

Perfectly content


Like a bunny, I revel

In the light, sun and clover

Grasses and meadows

Urban yards and drainage pipe

Ditches under driveways


Nibbling my way through the 

Day, lunging only when startled

Surprised or having a premonition

Of being attacked by some 

Wild animal, or domestic dog

A loud disturbing sound

Like a lawnmower, leaf blower

A child squealing


At night, I return to my burrowed 

Dirt-filled den, dark and safe

Safe, tender, utter peace


After each night of being

Held by the spirits in my den 

(Or in my mother’s womb)

I awake to greet the day

With joy and excitement

Of the coming light

The bright sun and dark rain

The gentle winds and snow

(the hailstorms, not so much)

And friends: the birds

Chipmunks, squirrels, snakes

But not the cats

Or hawks who want to eat me


Almost heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment