Monday, October 18, 2021

My Mother's Fingernails

My grandmother’s fingernails were thin

Mine are thick

Our child’s are tough

My mother’s fingernails need cutting


When our child was tiny, I panicked when

Trying to cut those tiny nails

Trying so hard not to draw blood

Most of the time successful


I trimmed my own all of my life

Only a few manicures and pedicures

Ever. I have never cut my mother’s

Fingernails, until today


Her stroke impaired her vision

Prompted confusion at times

Her walking unsteady, 

Independence no more


I now water her plants 

Retrieve her mail, pay her bills

I have never cut my mother’s

Fingernails before


I notice they look different 

From before, longer, untrimmed

Not as clean as usual

Unpolished as always


I ask her if I can cut them for her

She nods and I begin

Recalling the panic with our child

Breathing deeply and fully this time


Without injury

Without suffering

I trim her nails

Delighted, no blood


My tears finally flow

This cycle of life business

I have always heard about

I am now living


My mother took care of me

All of my life

Now, it is my turn and

I treasure this time with her



No comments:

Post a Comment