Saturday, October 16, 2021

My Mother, Myself

For most of my life

I have imagined being

Very different from

My mother


She, the minister’s wife

The church lady

Me, the activist 

Advocate, somewhat rebellious


Truth comes home to roost


My mother has always been pleasing

Taking care of others (including me)

So, too, I became a pleaser

But with a bit of a bite


Mother loves thoroughly, greatly

Revolved around her man and his life

Playing the support role, the

Real Power behind the scenes


I fancied myself more like my dad

Out in the marketplace, speaking

Truth and causing some trouble

Now always liked but loved enough


Like my father, I have needed

Emotional support, behind my scenes

It took some time to find such a partner in mid-life

What a wonder and a joy!


Joni Mitchell's Circle Game

A mixing of DNA, protons, neutrons

Electrons, swirling around

Creating us as human connected to family

To the world and multiverse

To all other beings and objects


Can I caretake my mother as well

As she took care of me?

Is that actually the goal? 

Maybe I can just love her


The truth comes home to roost


I do it differently than she

And hopefully

Devote myself, both

To my mother and

To myself


No comments:

Post a Comment